Date:      Wed, 30 Nov 2005 21:28:40 -0500
From:      "Anthony M. Agelastos" <iqgrande@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
Subject:   Re: _dhcp user problems

On Nov 29, 2005, at 8:46 AM, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> "Anthony M. Agelastos" <iqgrande@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello and thank you for your reply. I tried the following and here is
>> where it got me:
>>
>> ast# pwd_mkdb -u _dhcp /etc/master.passwd
>> ast# pwd_mkdb -u _dhcp /etc/passwd
>> pwd_mkdb: corrupted entry
>> pwd_mkdb: at line #3
>> pwd_mkdb: /etc/passwd: Inappropriate file type or format
>> ast# pwd_mkdb -u -p _dhcp /etc/passwd
>> usage: pwd_mkdb [-BCiLNp] [-d directory] [-s cachesize] [-u username]
>> file
>> ast# pwd_mkdb -p -u _dhcp /etc/passwd
>> pwd_mkdb: corrupted entry
>> pwd_mkdb: at line #3
>> pwd_mkdb: /etc/passwd: Inappropriate file type or format
>> ast# pw userdel _dhcp
>> pw: no such user `_dhcp'
>> ast# pw useradd _dhcp -u 65 -c "dhcp programs" -d /var/empty -s /usr/
>> sbin/nologin
>> pw: user '_dhcp' already exists
>>
>> Should I be doing something else? How can I wipe the slate clean with
>> users, groups, and accounts? I tried going through sysinstall and
>> when I try to add _dhcp as a user, it gives me an error code (The
>> `pw' command exited with unexpected status 74) after it mentions that
>> the requested shell "/usr/sbin/nologin" is not a valid user shell.
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Just the normal "pwd_mkdb /etc/master.passwd" and see if _dhcp is in
> /etc/passwd afterwards.
That worked. Thank you. Out of curiosity, to make sure nothing else
is non-optimal, what other user accounts were added from 5.4 to 6.0?
I cannot recall, did not save anything from 5.4, and never saw
anything related to this on any of the documentation on the website.
I only knew to do this for DHCP because I strictly followed the
Handbook in updating and diff'd the master.passwd files and figured
things out for myself. Thank you so much.