Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2003 17:04:02 -0600
From:      Pete Fritchman <petef@absolutbsd.org>
To:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do I handle a FreeBSD-specific tarball?

++ 10/03/03 13:57 -0800 - David Wolfskill:
| So for 6.0, in order to allow him to have the flexibility to make such
| changes (from what I can understand) without breaking the FreeBSD port,
| he has decided to maintain more than one gzipped tarball:
|
| * gpsman-6.0.tgz
|
| * gpsman_FreeBSD-6.0.tgz
|
| * gpsman_slackware_6.0_1.tgz
|
| and he wants the 2nd of the above to be used for the FreeBSD port.
|

| At first, I thought that PKGNAMESUFFIX would be useful for this, but
| experiments to date indicate otherwise.

You want DISTNAME.

DISTNAME=       ${PORTNAME}_FreeBSD-${PORTVERSION}

(and ".${EXTRACT_SUFX}" will be automatically added; you'd need to
include it if you were modifying ${DISTFILES}.)

| I have already tried suggesting that perhaps it would be easier for
| such (semi-)automated approaches as the ports collection to make the
| "gpsman-60.tgz" file the one that doesn't change. and create a
| "-bleeding_edge" variant for folks who are doing things by hand.  That
| appears to be an option that he does not find acceptable (for reasons
| I fail to understand or appreciate).

He should learn that once you _release_ something, you don't change it.
You release a new version :-)  Most people can't seem to comprehend
that, for some reason.  Oh well.

--pete