Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 2006 10:49:38 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Klaus Friis =?iso-8859-1?Q?=D8stergaard?= <kfo@lasertech.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Howto recompile libgnome-keyring with -fPIC

Klaus Friis =D8stergaard <kfo@lasertech.dk> writes:

> I get this error when trying to install Firefox:
>=20=20
> /usr/bin/ld: /usr/X11R6/lib/libgnome-keyring.a(gnome-keyring.o): relocati=
on R_X86_64_32 can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with =
-fPIC

> /usr/X11R6/lib/libgnome-keyring.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
> How do I recompile libgnome-keyring with the -fPIC compiler flags set?
> Is it possible to use the portupgrade to force a recomiplation with the r=
ight settings?

The port doesn't have a knob for doing that.  I don't know why the
linker is having problems; there shouldn't be anything special about
architecture here.  Perhaps you're running 32-bit libraries on a
64-bit system?

Normally I would recommend talking to the port maintainer, but you
obviously have outdated ports.