Date:      Tue, 08 Dec 1998 19:01:32 +1030 (CST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, obrien@NUXI.com, (Mike Smith) <mike@smith.net.au>, Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
Subject:   Re: New drivers and install floppy space

On 08-Dec-98 Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>  with information on your configuration.  We'll pick out 10 people who
>  seem to represent a reasonably diverse collection of CD-booters and
>  send them a copy of of this.  If it works on all 10, that will be a
>  good sign.  If it does not, it won't be and we can rethink this. :-)

Well, I'm about to sacrifice another virgin CD blank to the ravening CD monster to test
this..
The first one I did had a broken partition table, so it would SEE it, just not boot :)

OK, thats done.. and the BIOS says that it sees the parition and its moved my hard drives
up a letter.. It then tries to boot, but gets 'Missing operating system'

Note that this is trying to boot off a SCSI CDROM (which works for, say the 2.2.7 CD).
The board is a P6SBS Supermicro job. (which has an Ami WinBIOS)

On our Abit board with an Award BIOS I get the same results.. It sees the partition, but
fails to boot.

The procedure to make this disc was as follows ->
dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/hd_img.raw bs=1k count=10240
vnconfig /dev/vn0 /tmp/hd_img.raw
awk 'BEGIN {printf "%c%c", 85, 170}' | dd of=/tmp/hd_img.raw obs=1 seek=510 conv=notrunc
disklabel -Brw -b /usr/mdec/bootwd -s /usr/mdec/bootwd vn0 auto
# Note that I changed this from how make release makes a floppy (different boot blocks)

mount it, put a kernel on it etc..

I then altered mkhbrid so if the boot image wasn't the size of a disk it assumed it was a
HD (ie the type was set to HD, not floppy in the descriptor)

I tried this but it didn't work (it saw it was bootable, but didn't use the partition),
Mike suggested I run fdisk on it and make partition 1 the correct partition (before it
was partition 4). This got me where I am now :)

---
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum