Date:      Sun, 31 Dec 2000 19:26:17 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Jorge Biquez <jbiquez@icsmx.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newsyslog for rotating APACHE logs

Jorge Biquez writes:
> Hello all.
>
> I'm still on the rotation files. I wanted to try newsyslog before going for
> the scripts paths since seems could be simpler.
> This is what I have on the newsyslog.conf file:
>
> # logfilename           owner.group     mode count size time [ZB]
> [/pid_file] [sig_num]
> /var/log/maillog                        664  7     *    24    Z
> /var/log/sendmail.st                    664  10    *    168   B
> /usr/home/sites/logsite01txt            664  9     *    1503  B
>
> since I wanted that the file rotated at the 15:03 hours.
>
> On the contrab file I have this:
>
> #
> #minute hour    mday    month   wday    who     command
> 04      15       *       *       *       root    newsyslog
> 05      15       *       *       *       root    killall -HUP httpd
>
> But it is not working. I checked the permission and that's not the problem.

Its working. Its just not doing what you said you want. Its not going
to rotate until the log file is 1503 hours old. Try replacing the size
field with a "1" (for 1024 bytes) and replace 1503 in the age/time
column with *.

As for your killall -HUP, IMHO this can be handled better within
newsyslog. Just put "/var/run/http.pid" in the next column. Thing to be
careful of is that Apache may still have the log file open when
newsyslog renames it. This is OK as long as you don't try to gzip the
old file within newsyslog.
http://www.freebsddiary.org/rotatelogs.html#nocompress

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net