Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2018 15:03:34 +0100
From:      Niclas Zeising <zeising@freebsd.org>
To:        starikarp@yandex.com, freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: drm-legacy-kmod-g20181031_1 on 13-current

On 11/19/18 11:30 PM, starikarp@yandex.com wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 21:20:40 +0100
> Niclas Zeising <zeising+freebsd@daemonic.se> wrote:
>=20
>> On 11/19/18 5:06 PM, AN wrote:
>>> Hi:
>>>
>>> I would like to thank everyone who helps to provide a modern
>>> graphics stack on FreeBSD.=C2=A0 I have the following setup and am
>>> having some issues with screen tearing/artifacts mostly in
>>> mate-terminal windows.=C2=A0 I tried the suggestion at
>>> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/FAQ 2.3.1. AMD GPU, however it
>>> did not work for me as X failed to start, maybe I missed something.
>>>
>>> Below is relevent info, if more is needed please let me know.
>>>   =20
>>
>> Hi!
>> I believe you can use graphics/drm-kmod to get an appropriate kernel
>> driver for this GPU.  Please follow the instructions posted after the
>> installation wrt. loading the module and so on.
>>
>> When using drm-legacy-kmod you generally need to use
>> xf86-video-ati-legacy with ATI/AMD graphics cards.
>>
>> Regards
>=20
> Are xf86-video-ati-legacy drivers the same as we have now in kernel,
> please? I like to try before FreeBSD 12 because no one *kmod and the
> new ati drivers works on my computer (black screen) but on
> FreeBSD-11.2-RELEASE I cannot build them.
>=20

x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-legacy is the xserver interface to the kernel=20
driver in either graphics/drm-kmod or graphics/drm-legacy-kmod.  It is=20
the same as x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati, but an older version, since the=20
new version doesn't work with the legacy drm kernel driver.=20
graphics/drm-legacy-kmod is only for 12 and later, it is the same code=20
that's in base in 11.2 (and 12), with some modifications to handle=20
different locations of firmware blobs.
Regards
--=20
Niclas Zeising