Date:      Mon, 8 Sep 1997 08:40:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@federation.addy.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Quota system is broken?

Is the quota system known to be broken?  We've tried using it and to say
it's unreliable is an understatement.  For example, I have several users
who are completely unrestrained by quota, despite being set up identically
to others where it does work.  All the commands, such as repquota, report
they *have* a quota, but they can just keep on writing.  On others, I can
set quotas all I want, the system won't recognize them.  And in other
accounts, quota reports usages completely wrong, e.g.

Disk quotas for user skunk (uid 1045):
Filesystem  blocks   quota   limit   grace   files   quota   limit grace
      /usr  127264*  40960   51200    none     325       0       0
      /var       2    1024   10240               2       0       0

In reality, this user has over 150 megs in /var and only 35 megs in /usr.
Despite being marked as over and no grace left, he can still write in
/usr.

We're running 2.2.2.