Date:      Sun, 05 May 2002 22:35:44 -0400
From:      Len Zettel <zettel@acm.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   using dump

It's not like I really know what I am doing or anything---

My first priority in setting up FreeBSD 4.5 was to get my
printer going well enough that I could get hard copy of
things like file listings and man pages.  That is going
satisfactorily.

Next priority is system backup. Per the handbook I am trying to
use dump, but not to tape - I don't have a decent tape drive.
However, I *do* have my system set up with mounting frames so
that I can freely swap hard drives.  Figure that ought to
do reasonably well.  (Anybody got any pointers/experience on
hot swapping hard drives under FreeBSD?)

At the moment my system is on a 6 GB hard drive.  I seem to have
succeeded in formatting a 40 GB hard drive as the slave on the
same controller.

So we do
mount /dev/ad1s1e /mnt
and it's there.

Then we do
dump -0u -f /mnt/usr/backup0 /usr

and get

DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Sun May 5 21:52:36 2002
DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
DUMP: Dumping /dev/ad0s1g (/usr) to mnt/usr/backup0
DUMP: mapping (Pass 1)[regular files]
DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
DUMP: estimated 746212 tape blocks on 19.16 tape(s).
DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
DUMP: Closing /mnt/usr/backup
DUMP: Change Volumes: Mount volume #2
DUMP: Is the new volume mounted and ready to go? ("yes" or "no") no
DUMP: Do you want to abort? ("yes" or "no") yes
DUMP: THe ENTIRE dump is aborted.

then
ls -l /mnt/usr
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 39260160 May 5 21:53 backup 0

So: How far did I get?  What is a good way to check what is or
is not in backup0?

What should I be doing to get the backup I want (preferably
without novice-confusing error messages)?

Should I be doing something else entirely?

Any advice would be appreciated.
   -LenZ-