Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 15:31:31 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Andrew Podesta <Andrew_Podesta@cygn.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot

Andrew Podesta wrote:

> Hi,
>
>         I installed version 4 from CDROM, and at the end of the install i got
> an error message that there were some errors installing, and to either
> answer "no" at the next prompt (which was not an option), or reboot and
> use the fixit utility to troubleshoot these problems...
>
> THe result is, after I power up my system I get a prompt that looks
> like this...
>
> >>FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
> Default:0:ad(0,a)?
> boot:

You system cannot locate an executable kernel automatically.

> Can you offer me any help?

Since you have not yet a running system, there is no need to preserve
any existing data. Just delete your first try, and start the
installation from the start.

Most possible causes FreeBSD shows errors during installation:
1) A partition was too small to hold all the files that should be
installed into
2) You have installed / (root) outside of the first gigabyte of the
first hard disk
3) Hardware problems with ancient hardware.

HTH
-Christoph Sold