Date:      Thu, 30 Jul 1998 11:43:02 -0700
From:      Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>
To:        "Eric S. Raymond" <esr@snark.thyrsus.com>, Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: branding

At 04:45 AM 7/30/98 -0400, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
>Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>:
>> I would like to state that I think having the goal of the Open Source pages
>> be all about convincing companies who sell software that they should
>> open-source their software, is a mistake.
>
>Nevertheless, that is one of my major goals, and has been since Feb 5th.
>Furthermore, we've racked up some successes.  Jini from Sun is the latest.

Don't let your goals cloud the reality of the situation, though, or you
risk burning bridges you may need to cross later.

>>                                           FreeBSD is an example of a
>> successful project, with many many commercial interests, but little
>> commercial interest to "FreeBSD, Inc."  What FreeBSD shows the world, and
>> Apache to a lesser extent, is that no company has to be selling a
>> "commercial version" of the open-source software in order for it to be a
>> successful "open source project".
>
>True, but irrelevant if your goal is to persuade Mr. Businessperson in the
>language that matters to *him* -- i.e. that he can make *money*.

Not irrelevant at all - companies are just as interested in saving money as
making money.  The problem is your "goal" only applies to a small subset of
the total base of people and companies who could benefit from using (and
being convinced the value of) open-source software.  We need to show that
*use* of the software is commercially a smart thing, not just the *sale* of
such software.  This is critical to the health of open-source software,
because when people are *using* rather than *selling*, there is no pressure
to create proprietary, non-shared value, as there always is in the
commercial software industry.

>> So maybe a quicker way of summing this up is to suggest that non-commercial
>> projects also be capable of being called "software that qualifies".
>
>They certainly do, yes.

But the pages do not reflect this.

>And I'm tired of the whole attitude that considers presentation and
>spin and (gasp) *marketing* so far beneath us that we'll never do it,
>even though that means that in the real world we're going to lose.

Eric, I'm absolutely in favor of using marketing language to convince
people to see the wisdom of using open-source software.  I do more of this
myself these days than I do actual programming - sad to say, but true.
What I am against is trying to claim that there is one true way to make
money at this game; that this only applies to software companies, and that
this only applies if you're selling a product whose code comes from an
open-source background.

>The cold fact of the matter is that if you count by column-inches of
>responsive press (which any PR guy will tell you is a pretty good
>proxy for business-world mind-share) I am probably the person most
>responsible for the current boom in interest in our culture -- and
>that's even if you leave out "The Cathedral and the Bazaar".

Sigh.  I'm *really* not interested in debating who's had more column-inches
in what magazines, or that it really makes a real difference.  I was very
close to the IBM decision to adopt Apache, and did a significant amount of
work to make it happen (despite the fact that they could become a direct
competitor to my own company's efforts) and I can say that if anything it
was done *despite* the publicity around it all.  It was done, above all,
because it saved IBM money in the short and long term.

I'm certainly not going to let your self-aggrandizement suggest that your
pages or your concepts are beyond reproach.  And if you look back on my
statements and comments, they aren't a "slam" so much as a suggestion for
clarification.

My sneer at the term "propaganda" was because the term often suggests
twisting the truth into a lie to serve one's dogmatic purposes.  I don't
think we need to do that to explain why open source software is a Good
Thing, is all I'm saying.  Please, by all means, put a pretty ribbon around
the package, but don't discount several big, business reasons for using OS
software.

	Brian