Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 1996 04:46:03 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        -Vince- <vince@apollo.COSC.GOV>
Cc:        FreeBSD-current users <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: make world failed in -current

-Vince- wrote:
> > libdescrypt lives in src/secure/lib/libdescrypt. Do you have any
> > references to *SECURE* or *CRYPT* in /etc/make.conf, or do you have
> > a corrupt secure/ or eBones/?
>
> 	I don't have a /usr/src/secure directory but I did notice that
> /usr/libcrypt.so.2.0 is a symlink to libdescrypt.so.2.0 so is there
> anyway to convert the password files from DES to MD5?

Sounds like thing have got royally screwed up. If your passwords
(in master.password) are in DES format (ie do not begin with "$1$")
then you are hosed without DES.

There is no known way to translate or reverse engineer crypted
passwords.

I recommend installing the secure/ distribution if your passwords are
DES encrypted.

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200
Finger mark@grondar.za for PGP key