Date:      Thu, 1 Mar 2001 20:32:00 -0500
From:      "Paul A. Howes" <pahowes@fair-ware.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Samba Configuration

All-

I have come across something rather bizzare.  I am hoping that someone can
offer an explanation for the behavior that I am seeing.

First, here is the samba.conf file that I am using:

	[global]
        netbios name = CATNIP
        interfaces = ep0 lo0
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        hosts allow = 192.168.

	[music]
        comment = Music Files
        path = /home/music
        writeable = Yes

The Win2k and FreeBSD username/password combination is identical on all
machines.

Here is the problem:  When I try to connect to the samba server, and my
username in /usr/local/private/smbpasswd does NOT have a password, I am able
to connect with no trouble at all.  However, if I use the smbpasswd command
to give my username the same password as my FreeBSD and Win2k system, I
cannot connect to it.

Now here's the real kicker -- If my smbpassword is blank, the smbclient
command will not connect to the share, but it will if the smbpassword is the
same as my FreeBSD and Win2k login.

This is very, very strange!  If anyone can explain this, and tell me how to
work around it, I would like to know, very much!

Please CC me in e-mail, as I am not yet signed up for this particular
mailing list.

Thank you!

Paul A. Howes
pahowes@fair-ware.com