Date:      Sat, 31 May 2003 09:31:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Hugo Saro <h_saro@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   file: table is full.

Hi list,

I have a fbsd server as a gateway on my home lan. It's
running 4.7-STABLE , specs p200 mmx 80mb ram 2 hdd's
.. it works fine , but I do get a regular (sort of)
problem.

When there's some problem with my ISP and dhclient
keeps trying getting an IP, eventually when I get home
i'll have lots of message spammed in the console, and
ps w ls etc will say too many open files in system. I
normally solved this by killing some processes,
unplugging and plugging the network cables, and by
killing dhclient. When it fired up again it would be
working. But today i couldn't even kill because it
said it couldn't open some .so (I'm sure they're
there)

Eventually kill worked, i could top and ps but it got
back to the same again. I thought on logging off to
free some memory etc. big mistake. I can't even login
now! :-(

Right after i try to login on the server, i get this:

/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Cannot open
"/usr/lib/libutil.so.3"

I can't SSH to it either, the connection is dropped
about 5 seconds after i try. I could ssh about 2 times
but it said it couldn't open another .so because too
many open files in system and shut the connection
down.

I lost the keyboard on the server too but reconnecting
it enabled it again. Right now i'm just waiting about
3 hours to reboot it, trying to avoid it since it's
been up for ages.. But i'd like to know what might be
causing this and how to avoid it next time. It
_always_ happens when i loose IP for several hours and
dhclient can't get another ip.

Any ideas welcome.