Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 2003 15:14:58 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   5.0-CURRENT diskless boot recognition

Hello.

As I posted prior to this question, I have problems in getting diskless
started with 5.0-Current as cvsupdated today. The problem is still the same
and after a night of hairloosing work I think I got closer to the problem.

We use PXE as bootstrap environment, isc-dhcp and a read-only disk partition
/usr/diskless conatining for each architecture we boot diskless its appropriate
directory. The diskless kernels are compiled with individual 'ident Marker',
have options NFS_ROOT, MD_ROOT, UNIONFS, PSEUDOFS and device md.
The whole setup is as described in /etc/rc.d/initdiskless with special
/conf-dir entries and this scheme works perfect under FreeBSD 4.7.

FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT seems to have problems within its bootstrap process
to recognize that it is a diskless system.

After the diskless station got its IP, loaded and booted the kernel I see this
on screen:

Mounting root from nfs:
NF ROOT: MY.IP : /usr/diskless/xterm
Starting file system checks:
mount: / : unknown special file or filesystem
Mounting NFS file system:.
eval: /etc/rc.d/cleanvar: Permission denied.
.
.
.
After the last message a lot of deny error occur.
I modified all the diskless-scripts in rc.d with my own echo
commands to check which one gets involved, but none of them
get touched! The above process looks identical of what a
normal standalone machine does when booting. No wonder when
diskless does not work when the init process does not recognize
that it is booting diskless.

We do not use BOOTP and I do not know whether FBSD 5.X does only support this
scheme. We would like to stay with the NFS process. But I think technically
this can not be the problem, because after the station has already booted
the kernel it doesnt care what mechanism it booted from. NFS is the dominating
facility and I could see, the root partition got mounted as expected.

Can anyone help? Do I mark each kernel with 'ident DISKLESS' to give the init
process any idea what it should do?

If you need more informations about my configuration, please contact me.
If someone could provide me with further informations how a init process or
init scripts figures out whether it configures a diskless kernel or not,
please let me know it.

thanks in advance,

Oliver

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@mail.physik.uni-mainz.de
Systemadministration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)