Date:      Sat, 27 Nov 1999 19:19:27 -0500
From:      Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
To:        'James A Wilde' <james.wilde@telia.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Ping

Well, what exactly is the error that you receive when pinging (either way)?

Off the top of my head, given what you said, there is probably an ipfw rule
that is blocking some icmp packets.  Take a look at /etc/rc.conf to see what
firewall type is being used.  Also check in /etc/rc.firewall for that given
firewall type.

If the machine is not being used for firewalling at all you could just go
into /etc/rc.conf and set firewall_type="open"

Alternatively, check the permissions on /sbin/ping, although I doubt that is
the issue.

Hope this helps
-Chris