Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2000 12:23:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        danh@gelatinous.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: softupdates and "/"

:Yes and no.
:
:Yes because the delayed deletion "feature" of softupdates may cause
:you to run out of space on / when doing installworld unless / is
:pretty large.  I use ~120 MB to get around this, but I may not need
:that much.
:
:No because if your /tmp is in / then tempfile creation and deletion
:will be signifigantly faster which can really speed up applications
:especially stupid ones that use lockfiles in /tmp.
:
:I recommend using softupdates on / as long as you have enough space,
:120-150 megs, with disk speeds these days fsck'ing ~120MB doesn't
:take that long.
:
:--
:-Alfred Perlstein - [bright@wintelcom.net|alfred@freebsd.org]

    I'll second that recommendation.  I always configure 128MB root
    paritions precisely so things like 'make installworld' don't
    run a softupdates-enabled root out of space.  And, besides,
    this way I can keep a bunch of kernels sitting in / rather then
    just one or two.

					-Matt