Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 1996 10:56:59 +0200
From:      Kjell-Eke Ahlin <Kjell-Ake.Ahlin@vfak.slu.se>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation of FreeBSD cannot get started

At 17:48 1996-07-28 -0700, you wrote:

>2.1.5 hasn't come back from the press yet, but it should shortly.  In the
>meantime you can download it from ftp.freebsd.org.
>
>2.2-SNAPs are built from -current; don't use them unless you need them.

Thank you for those advices!

>> I don4t seem to get anywhere trying to install the 2.1.0-release of
FreeBSD, which I got
>> on a CD from Walnut Creek this spring. The boot disk seems to recognize
the NCR 53C810
>> PCI SCSI-controller (PCI-SC200-card) on the ASUSTeK P55SP4-motherboard
(latest BIOS
>> version) and also the two HP Surestore SCSI-harddisks (C3724, 1 GB and
C3725, 2 GB)as
>> well as the Iomega Jaz-drive (1 GB) and the Toshiba CD-player (XM-3701B).
>>
>> BUT: In the installation program I can4t access anything but the Jaz-disk
(sd2 - only a
>> partition table of this is presented, no disk choices before that),
although I have been
>> able to boot and install WIN95, OS/2 Warp 3 and Win-NT 3.51 from primary
partitions on
>> sd0 and sd1 without any problems. I use the OS/2 Boot Manager.
>
>So you are trying to install to the Jaz drive?  Is it found in the boot
>probe on startup?

The boot probe displays every possible data about the two fixed harddisks,
the CD-player and the Jaz drive - apart from disliking the disk geometry of
the FAT-formatted Jaz disk. Since my only choice was to install on the Jaz
disk, so I did - and it worked! Using OS/2 Boot Manager I4m now able to
select "EXTRA_OS" from the boot menu and boot up both FreeBSD and Solaris
2.5 in this way. I haven4t tested how LINUX handles this yet, but I will...
In fact, being able to boot from the Jaz-drive solved another problem.
Installing Solaris on the second fixed harddisk (on an active, primary
D:-partition, initially FAT-formatted by OS/2 FDISK) made OS/2 FDISK and
Boot Manager believe, that the whole harddisk was damaged. It was not
possible to make OS/2 Boot Manager recognize even the two remaining,
untouched primary partitions. I intend to test O/S Boot Select (V: 2.0b8,
1993, by Thomas Wolfram) to see if that boot manager can recognize the
UNIX-partition and be able to separate them from the FAT-partitions on the
fixed harddisks.
Even if the present layout is working, it might be a little more elegant to
only have to use one boot manager. I4m still left with the initial problem,
though, that FreeBSD (2.1.0) doesn4t allow me to install onto a disk and
partition of my own choice (in contrast to SOLARIS...). I4ll try to rip out
the network adapter and the sound card, to see if there could be an
interference, though it is not obvious from the initial setup and
strappings... I have come across some postings, that indicated a possible
problem using ASUSTek motherboard and the onboard NCR PCI SCSI-controller
above, in connection with the installation and/or use of FreeBSD?? I4ll have
to dig deeper into this...
Keep on the good hacking!
Kjell-Ake

Kjell-Eke Ahlin   Network administrator          Office:+46-18-671451
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine                   Mobile:+46-70-5562105
Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences         Fax:+46-18-673545
PO-Box 7076, S-750 07  UPPSALA, Sweden  E-mail:Kjell-Ake.Ahlin@vfak.slu.se