Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 14:26:33 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@gbch.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Panic at start of install 4.4-R

Warner Losh wrote:

| Sorry for the late reply, but I've been gone a week and a half in
| Japan and didn't see this until now.
|
| In message <nospam-1007101717.62531@bambi.gbch.net> Greg Black writes:
| : I have no way of going back before the panic messages, but the
| : final stuff on the screen (typed by hand) is:
|
| For some reason, the machine isn't liking how we're doing PCI
| interrupt routing for the cardbus bridge.  Try breaking into the boot
| loader (where it gives you the countdown) and say
| 	set hw.pcic.intr_route=1
| 	set hw.pcic.irq=0
| This will force ISA interrupt routing.  You will also need to add
| these two lines w/o the set in front to /boot/loader.conf once you get
| the system installed.  You will also have to then pick good IRQs to
| use with the system.

OK, just tried this and it made no difference AFAICT.  I then
tried the similar but different lines in the current release
notes:

    set hw.pcic.intr_path="1"
    set hw.pcic.irq="0"

This indeed got me through the boot of the install process and I
have now managed to complete an installation and reboot.  Thanks
for the help.

One question: will this still be necessary in 4.5, or will the
problem be fixed by then?