Date:      Sun, 19 Oct 1997 16:37:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Nguyen Phi Khanh <nguyenpk@kuci.org>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: To support 2k users..

On Sun, 19 Oct 1997, Nguyen Phi Khanh wrote:

> 	I'm planning on supporting 2000 users and I'm wondering if anyone
> has any good ideas on what I should do.  I plan on either buying multiple
> boxes of Dual Pentium Pro machines to support a fraction of the 2k users
> on FreeBSD or BSD/OS, *or* buy one or two Sun Sparc Ultras.  I'm not too
> sure how well FreeBSD or BSD/OS does SMP either.  Anyone supporting 2k
> users willing to give me any advice on how I should approach this?  I'm
> curious as to how many shell users can one Dual PPro 200 box running FBSD
> handle.  Any suggestions or ideas or speculations would be welcomed. :)

  What will these 2k users be doing first of all?  This is the most
important consideration.  What services do these 2k users need?  You
mention shell users:  in my experience, shell use is in decline as most
people prefer direct network access via LAN or PPP dial-up.

  SMP is in FreeBSD-current.  FreeBSD-current should be considered
expirimental, so unless these 2k users are part of an expiriment, I
don't recommend using it.

  I'm working at site that is 100% FreeBSD with over 12k users.  CPU power
is the least of my problems.  I worry a lot more about i/o needs.

> -Khanh
> nguyenpk@kuci.org
> nguyenpk@quadrunner.com

> Ryan Phi Khanh Nguyen 				Network Manager
> E-mail nguyenpk@kuci.org for Public Key 	http://kuci.org/~nguyenpk
> PGP Key fingerprint =  4B B3 5B 7D 21 95 67 23  58 9C AD 64 44 57 CC 5D

Tom