Date:      Mon, 9 Apr 2001 16:29:00 -0400
From:      Jeff Love <jl@burghcom.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Releases

This is my first post to this list. I've been running FreeBSD since 2.2.7, and
have never had a problem understanding the difference between -STABLE,
-RELEASE, etc. I have an older server that I cvsup first to see just how well
the upgrade goes, and how the new system runs, before upgrading the production
server.

What surprises me is that the members of this list seem to like to quarrel over
this subject (and others?).

I did have a problem after a cvsup on 04/08/2001, as the 'cim' sound
kernel module would not compile. I eliminated the subdirectory listing in the
Makefile, and it simply did not attempt to compile the module. Why was the
kernel make compiling modules for devices I did not set in my config? I
suppose I'm either missing something, or I need to RTFM over again...

  --
 Jeff Love
 jl@burghcom.com