Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 12:57:19 -0400
From:      "Jonathan Arnold" <jdarnold@buddydog.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gui editors - mostly just griping (you've been warned) I gotta vent  somewhere.

>Okay, I installed nedit and I do like what I see. I'll be using it and
>one other new one I found - on the zend.org site, for web page
>development. That one is big and has a ton of stuff I don't need but so

You really really really should use Emacs. Of course, editors are
a religous thing, but Emacs has a couple of things that really
recommend it:

1] It's everywhere. Once you learn Emacs (not a trivial process,
but then few editors are), you'll have a skill you can take to any
platform.

2] It can do everything. It has been around for ages and has hacks
to solve virtually any problem you might come up with. Get the
O'Reilly book and be prepared to accept the editor Borg.

It's main drawback is that it is a huge application, so you need to
have plenty of RAM. But just launch it when you log in and you never
need to leave it. There's shells, compilers, everything for it. And
you can use it from the Console in text mode pretty much exactly
like you use it from X.

There's a very active community (check the mailing lists and the
newsgroups). You won't regret it.

--
Jonathan Arnold             (mailto:jdarnold@buddydog.org)
The Incredible Brightness of Seeing, a Home Theater weblog