Date:      20 Feb 1999 18:14:15 +0100
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Q: what is tagged openings

Elliot Finley <efinley@efinley.com> wrote:

> "(da0:ahc0:0:6:0): tagged openings now 64"
> Forgive my ignorance, but what does this mean in english?

You can probably read about that in the SCSI standard documents...

> Is it an error message or simply an informative message?

Previous discussion has revealed that it's informative and meaningless
to pretty much everybody. There's a snippet in /sys/cam/cam_xpt.c that
says

    if (bootverbose || 1) {
            xpt_print_path(crs->ccb_h.path);
            printf("tagged openings "
                   "now %d\n",
                   crs->openings);
    }

Notice the brilliant "|| 1" clause, which suggests that this is only a
temporary kludge. Alas, the responsible developers refuse to take it out
on grounds that the message is useful for debugging purposes.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de
    carpe librum: books 'n' reviews <URL:http://www.carpe.com/buch/>;