Date:      Sat, 26 Feb 2000 11:19:51 EST
From:      "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@freeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD installation and USB

When I boot the kern.flp boot floppy for both 3.3 and 3.4, I get the
following output:

/boot.config: -P
Keyboard: no
-
BTX loader 1.00   BTX version is 1.01

It was pointed out to me that the disks were booting but my output was
redirected, possibly because the BIOS didn't recognize my keyboard.  The key
thing to note is that MY KEYBOARD IS A USB KEYBOARD.  My system only has
support for USB keyboards (no PS/2 or AT-style keyboard ports)

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:  I *can* boot the NetBSD installation floppy.
This leads me to believe that my BIOS is not the problem but that there may
be a bug in USB support or USB support is not enabled on the installation
floppies.  I have a Human Interface Devices (HID) USB. I would be willing to
try making some changes in my BIOS (but that doesn't appear to be necessary)

QUESTIONS:
1-Do the installation floppies currently have USB support at all?

2-If so/if not how long will it take to add/debug?

3-Will FreeBSD 4.0 installation disks support/fix USB?

4- I can get to a system prompt after booting the NetBSD install floppy *SO*
can I run FreeBSD install from there? AND if I do, will the FreeBSD system
that is installed support USB on immediately after install or do I have to
recompile the kernel (as is required, for example, to obtain USB support in
Linux)

5- LASTLY, if the answers to my previous questions are not satisfactory
(weeks to do a fix, no USB support upon install, etc.), does anyone know if
it is possible, or how difficult it might be to install FreeBSD over/after
an install of NetBSD.  (I would plan on doing this after several months when
FreeBSD USB works "out-of-the-box" on my system)

Basically, booting the NetBSD install floppy and then running FreeBSD
install program(s) or installing over NetBSD seems like a good *possible*
work around for my problem.

I thank you in advance and sincerely appreciate any help.

John
Please respond to: jmd526@hotmail.com

FYI: System Specs,
My system is an Acer Aspire PIII 450, 128MB RAM, 8GB HD with the following
hardware:
    Human Interface Devices (HID) USB mouse and keyboard
          (*NOTE* only USB keyboard - no PS/2 or AT-style ports)

    Intel 82443BX Pentium II Processor to PCI bridge
    Intel 82443BX Pentium II Process to AGP Controller

    Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    Intel 82371EB PCI to ISA bridge (ISA mode)
    Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    Intel 82371AB/EB Power Management Controller
(the Intel 82371AB/EB architecture is specifically supported according to
the hardward notes at freeBSD.org)

    ATI XPERT 98 Display adapter
    Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 70 Monitor

    ESS Solo-1 Soundblaster sound card

    Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) BIOS

    Acer 56K DataFax PCI Modem

    3com FastEtherlink XL 10/100MB TX Ethernet NIC (3C905B-TX)
        (Connected to a Netopia router with 160k bps DSL service)

    Hitachi DVD-ROM GD-2500

    Generic IDE Harddisk and Floppy disk