Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 01:14:02 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Daniel Forsgren <forda@ite.mh.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disable crontab error mails

In the last episode (Jan 24), Daniel Forsgren said:
> I've set up a series of crontab scripts that updates a web page with
> system information for a cluster of FreeBSD machines (top, df etc for
> each machine). On each machine there's a script that periodically
> updates its sysinfo text file to the local disk, and the machine with
> the web server runs a script that periodically copies these local
> sysinfo files to the www folder through NFS (all disks are mounted on
> the web server). Now, the problem is that if one machine happen to be
> down, I get a bundle of error mails from cron since one of the disks
> it tries to copy from is not mounted. Is there some way to disable
> error mails from cron? Or could I incorporate some kind of "if the
> file exists"-check in the script?

Yes, on both counts.  To make a cron entry completely mute, add

 >/dev/null 2>&1

to the end fo the cron line, or to make a whole bunch of lines mute,
add the line

 MAILTO=""

before the entries.  What I would do, though, is something like this:

for i in host1 host2 host3 ; do
  if ping -c 1 $host > /dev/null ; then
    do stuff with the host named in $i
  fi
done

That will only process hosts that respond to a ping (ping returns a
nonzero code if the host doesn't reply).

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com