Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 2000 09:09:08 -0400
From:      Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Some NIS questions...

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but using NIS services I can make the
following example work (no?):

FreeBSD Box 1:
	-runs as primary NIS server
	-exports parent dir of homedirs for all users via NFS

FreeBSD Box 2/3/4/5/6/7:
	-authenticates users using NIS instead of /etc/passwd
	-has parent dir of home-dir's for users mounted over NFS

Essentially what I'd like to do is maintain a single /etc/passwd file,
allowing all machines to share the same user/group database; hence our
radius clients, and our webhosting clients, and our mail-server's
clients can all route to a single username. (Currently I keep a cronjob
doing pwd_mkdb -p /etc/nfs_mounted_main_etc/master.passwd -this not a
very good solution as our amount of users gets larger).
	Assuming I'm correct, and NIS will allow me to share my users to other
machines, how do I set this up, is there a 'tutorial', or a good place
to read-up on procedure(s) for doing so that anyone knows of? If NIS
will not do as I'm assuming it will, I'm more than open to suggestions?

Nathan Vidican
webmaster@wmptl.com
Windsor Match Plate & Tool Ltd.
http://www.wmptl.com/