Date:      Sun, 2 Jun 2002 11:43:41 +1000
From:      Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
To:        "."@babolo.ru
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Splitting up ports.

On Sun, Jun 02, 2002 at 05:09:30AM +0400, "."@babolo.ru wrote:
> Edwin Groothuis writes:

> > > Let's look at any p5-* port.
> > > For example ports/databases/p5-SQL-Statement
> > > Assume I do something with SQL.
> > > Need I in p5-SQL-Statement? No. never.
> > > I need (may be) it ONLY if I program
> > > something with perl5.
> > You forget that the ports are sorted on their functionality, not
> > on their requirements. So to counter your example, if I'm interested
> > in database programming under perl, I'm not interested in the (insert
> > random other usage for perl modules, like networking or XML processing)
> > modules, but they would still be there. If you're interested in
> > SQL, that's database related so you can find it in ports/databases
> > (functionality!), there you can find in everything which is databases
> > related, even other databases than the one you defined.
> OK
> Functionality of all p5-* ports is: extend perl.

No, functionality of all p5- ports is to let you do something while
using the perl-language. Using perl is not the aim, using perl is
a way to do it.

This kind of reasoning will lead to more extreme things like:
Textproc/libxml is a library to extend the capabilities of other
programs to access/process XML files, so it belongs in lang/ and
textproc/linux-libxml is a library for the linux-emulation to extend
the capabilities of other linux programs to access/process XML files,
so it belongs in emulators/ and textproc/p6-libxml is a module for
perl to extend the capabilities of other perl programs to access/process
XML files, so it belongs into in perl/.

You see what kind of scattering it would give if you would do this?

I can change your reasoning a little to make it view the way the
ports-structure is designed now:
databases/p5-pgsql is a direction, databases/py-pyPgSQL is a
direction, ruby-dbd_pg is a direction, accessing the database using
one of these programming languages is the goal.

> Just imagine ports/lang/CPAN ports tree :-)

No thanks. With CPAN, Their goal is to extend Perl. With the FreeBSD
ports collectio, their goal is to extend the capabilities of FreeBSD.

Edwin
--
Edwin Groothuis      |           Personal website: http://www.MavEtJu.org
edwin@mavetju.org    |        Interested in MUDs? Visit Fatal Dimensions: