Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 18:35:05 +0100
From:      Christophe =?ISO-8859-1?B?UHLpdm90YXV4?= <c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr>
To:        Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.gmd.de>
Cc:        atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: QOS with ATM

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 18:20:56 +0100 (CET)
Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.gmd.de> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Christophe [ISO-8859-1] Pr_votaux wrote:
>
> CP>Why don't you put this stuff in RELENG_4 and make me
> CP>a happy camper :)
>
> The differences in netgraph between stable and current are rather big, so
> this wouldn't be an easy task, I fear.

well , if people need to use it someday it better be at some point in
RELENG no ?

Do you mean we will have to wait the next release ? or wait until 5.0 ?

> CP>I really need max_cpr (like under Linux)
> CP>Did you look at the Linux ATM ?
>
> What exactly does it do? Yes, I had a look some time ago, but because I
> have rather specific needs (a native ATM API and an signalling stack that
> can easily be modified) a decided to go a different way.
>
> CP>Oh and yes, please write a short HOW-TO for
> CP>ATM + Netgraph, because I have extreme diffculties
> CP>understand Netgraph (I am a bit slow understanding things :))
>
> Well, you need my code and -current for this.

uhmmm current.... I fear -current :)

> CP>Anyway I am clearly looking forward for this NEW HARP ATM
> CP>stuff to be integrated under RELENG soon :)
>
> No, this is not HARP...

ooops sorry :)

> CP>In the meanwhile I will be forced to use Linux if nothing else
> CP>
> CP>But I do have EN155PCI cards (6 of them :)) in order to test
> CP>the NEW HARP you made if you need me too
>
> Hmm. I have no eni driver for that thing. If I get spare time (hear, hear)
> I could try to make the hooks into the en driver.

that would be neat yes ... i know time , time , it is everyone's problem
on this planet :) I vote for slower earth revolution something like
72 hours per day cycles would be nice , that with a small biological clock
tweak and a bit of genetic engineering , and off we go :)

But then again maybe we would only a 1/3 of the current lifetime :)

> harti
>
> CP>and 1 PCA200E left ( however it is a single mode fiber and my ENI155
> CP>are Multimode and I have no converter) I can manage to get this Dual
> CP>CPU machine to work without freezing under FreeBSD (see previous
> CP>Email)
> CP>
> CP>
> CP>
> CP>On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 17:57:27 +0100 (CET)
> CP>Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.gmd.de> wrote:

> CP>> It depends on what you mean with 'use'. As far as I know the HARP
> CP>> signalling stacks supports all the QoS stuff, the supported hardware,
> CP>> however, doesn't. PCA200E cards support only UBR + a maximum of 1 CBR
> CP>> channel. FORE HE cards on the other hand are fine: they support up to 4k
> CP>> of CBR/ABR/UBR connections, but there is no HARP driver for them.

> CP>> Well, I have a completly new ATM stack, implemented in netgraph that
> CP>> supports both Fore cards. You can use whatever QoS you need and the cards
> CP>> supports, with the native API. My LAN emulation does not (yet) support
> CP>> QoS, and CLIP is not yet ready (and I won't be able to fix it in the next
> CP>> couple of months).
> CP>>
> CP>> harti
> CP>> --
> CP>> harti brandt, http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/cats/employees/hartmut.brandt/private
> CP>>               brandt@fokus.fhg.de
> CP>>
> CP>>
> CP>
> CP>
> CP>--
> CP>===============================================================
> CP>Christophe Prevotaux        Email: c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr
> CP>HEXANET SARL                URL: http://www.hexanet.fr/
> CP>Z.A.C Les Charmilles        Tel: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 05
> CP>3 All_e Thierry Sabine      Direct: +33 (0)3 26 79 08 02
> CP>BP202                       Fax: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 06
> CP>51686 Reims Cedex 2
> CP>FRANCE                   HEXANET Network Operation Center
> CP>
>
> --
> harti brandt, http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/cats/employees/hartmut.brandt/private
>               brandt@fokus.fhg.de

Christophe Prevotaux        Email: c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr
HEXANET SARL                URL: http://www.hexanet.fr/
Z.A.C Les Charmilles        Tel: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 05
3 Allée Thierry Sabine      Direct: +33 (0)3 26 79 08 02