Date:      Tue, 8 Oct 1996 18:15:14 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu (Charles Henrich)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 961006-SNAP comments

> The forced visual config on install is a horrible thing.  Forced config is a
> bad idea, especially when its not neccesary for most and confuses lots of
> people.  Secondly forcing me into the visual mode instead of command line was
> just tedium.

Let me disagree on this. I am fond of command line interfaces too,
but you have to consider that most people (probably less expert
than you) think differently.  I also believe forced config is usual.

The only thing I miss is probably a one-keystroke quit (Skip ?)
option which does not require you to confirm things if nothing has
changed (Hint hint...).

> The install refused to update my /etc/ files because a piece of the
> installation failed.   That doesnt really make a whole lot of since, especially
> as the piece that failed was compat21.  There was nothing I could figure out to
> do to get it to go back and write out the /etc files.

Agreed. This is a problem in that it leaves the install process
halfway through. It is probably more sensible to update etc files
in any case.

I also experienced difficulties in writing the boot manager (booteasy)
on my 2GB drive. I followed the standard procedure as usual (did
it twice) with no effect. Apparently, though, I can write a working
bootmanager with the "Write" option in the "Partition" menu.

Finally, a note on the computation of "default" partitions. It looks like
computations are based on memory size rather than on disk space. I have
tried to install on a 2GB disk and with 8MB ram, resulting in 28MB of
swap. I'd probably make it compute a larger swap area if the FreeBSD
slice is big enough. Say, 5..10% of the slice ?

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/