Date:      Tue, 05 Oct 1999 13:24:49 -0400
From:      Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ARPs on a bridge

At 06:12 PM 10/5/99 +0100, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>> Is there a way to force a Freebsd system to route to the same logican IP
>> network rather than send a redirect?
>>
>> The situation occurs with segmented bridges where customers on the same
>> logical IP network are on separate bridge groups. When trying to reach one
>> another, they are getting redirects however they are not permitted to arp
>> across groups.
>
>what kind of broken bridges do you have in mind which do not pass
>broadcast traffic ? (and if the answer is FreeBSD 3.2R, yest this is a
>known bug with some cards, and i have a fix ready for commit as soon as
>i get a chance to breath).

On a DSL bridge you have 150 to 900 customers bridged on a relatively low
bandwidth line (frame relay in this case). Forwarding broadcast traffic is
very undesireable as you have to replicate the packet 900 times, and since
you know the IP assignement for the DLCI you dont need to forward it to
everyone. Each customer is on a different bridge group so traffic cannot be
bridged between them, so you have to route, but you dont want to have to
allocate a subnet to each bridge group either. The problem is that, from
the FreeBSD boxes view, you are routing to the same logical net (assuming
that all of the bridge groups are in the same IP space.

We're not talking about bridging a couple of ethernets here.

Dennis