Date:      Thu, 23 Jun 2005 22:55:39 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.strobl@gmx.net>
Cc:        Paulo Roberto <nirv199@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: removing freebsd bootloader

On 2005-06-23 19:31, Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.strobl@gmx.net> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 23. Juni 2005 19:25 schrieb Paulo Roberto:
> > Hello,
> > How do I remove the FreeBSD bootloader from the MBR without touching
> > the slices?
>
> Without warranty, but fdisk -B should do the trick. I think it keeps the
> partition table and replaces the boot code of the MBR. Make sure the XP
> slice is marked active, and copy the fdisk output so you can restore it if
> anything goes wrong.

Correct.  You might want to use:

	# fdisk -B -b /boot/mbr

to make sure BootEasy is not installed instead of a plain MBR.

Summing it all up in "steps", something like the following would be fine:

	1. Make sure the correct partition is 'active'.

		# fdisk -u /dev/ad0

	2. Install plain "MBR" boot code:

		# fdisk -B -b /boot/mbr

	3. Reboot