Date:      Sat, 20 Apr 2002 11:03:54 +1100 (edt)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        rob <rob@pythonemproject.com>
Cc:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>, <perky@fallin.lv>, <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: icc-compiled Python

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, rob wrote:

> Sorry I missed the beginning of the thread.  Is this Icc Python faster
> than the normal one?  I am wondering as I've found FreeBSD Python 2.1 to
> be 1/2 the speed of the ActiveState Windows version on Win2k, using
> Numeric Python.  This was using an FDTD benchmark and a Romberg variable
> width integration benchmark.  Rob.

The info missing from the original post was the gcc optimisation options,
not to mention the icc options.

Just using ./configure yields "-O3".  Adding a "-march=<cpu_family>"
setting can have noticeable impact on performance - on my P5-166SMP box
"-march=pentium" improved overall python performance by ~10%.

On the subject of Numeric, I've seen material that suggests gcc 2.8.1 is
capable of producing better fp code than 2.9.x (no info about gcc 3+).  My
own experience on OS/2 also suggests that gcc 2.8.1 "-O2" beats gcc 2.9.2
"-O<anything>" for python performance.

E-mail: andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@pcug.org.au            |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Web:    http://www.andymac.org/        |        Australia