Date:      Fri, 13 Mar 1998 22:39:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Fisher <maf8113@osfmail.rit.edu>
To:        Rob Secombe <robseco@wizard.teksupport.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: software ppp

On Sat, 14 Mar 1998, Rob Secombe wrote:

> not, a DNS problem. As I was running named on the the box in question I
> simply removed the nameserver line in the resolv.conf file, forcing it
> to use the localhost for DNS, and bingo it jumped into life. This may
> not be the most elegant fix but it got me out of a hole at the time.

Not the most elegant fix?  The man page for resolv.conf disagrees with you
here, sir.

     On a normally configured system this file should not be necessary. The
     only name server to be queried will be on the local machine, the domain
     name is determined from the host name, and the domain search path is con-
     structed from the domain name.

--
Mike
  "I swear - by my life and by my love of it - that I will never live