Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2000 19:14:35 -0500
From:      Scott Gregory <bsdbox@citizen.infi.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Apache Virtual Hosts and Apache Reverse Proxy

I have 3 websites each with a primary and backup server.

foo-a.com        bar-a.com        www-a.com
foo-b.com        bar-b.com        www-b.com

Can I use the virtual hosts with an apache reverse proxy so I can setup
load balancing/failover?

I would like to send requests for foo.com to servers foo-a and foo-b,
requests for bar.com to two other servers, bar-a and bar-b, and requests
for www.com to servers www-a and www-b.

I know the reverse proxy can be set up to send static pages to one set
of servers and cgi to another set of servers, but can I set up multiple
sets of servers for different hosts?  I do not plan to have virtual
hosts running on foo-a and foo-b, so the virtual hosts would be used in
the proxy server. If this works without virtual hosts running on the -a
and -b servers, would it work WITH virtual hosts on the -a and -b
servers?  This would make for a really interesting httpd.conf!!

Any pointers/comments/successes/failures?

Thanks in advance,

Scott