Date:      Mon, 29 Dec 2008 11:13:34 -0800
From:      Sam Leffler <sam@freebsd.org>
To:        Dmitry Kolosov <ivakras1@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD for mips

Dmitry Kolosov wrote:
> On Monday 29 December 2008 20:33:11 Josh Paetzel wrote:
>
>> Alphons "Fonz" van Werven wrote:

>>> If by MIPS you mean the Silicon Graphics machines, then yes.
>>>
>>> FreeBSD has a MIPS port in the works, but as far as I can tell it's still
>>> considered highly experimental. However, you may want to help out if you
>>> have the time ;-)
>>>
>>> OpenBSD seems to have limited MIPS support: 64-bit only, so an O2 will
>>> work but an Indy probably won't.
>>>
>>> NetBSD just works. I've had it running on two SGI Indy machines without
>>> much of any kind of trouble. But then again, NetBSD runs on just about
>>> everything.
>>>
>>> Hope this helps,
>>>
>>> Alphons
>>>
>> If instead he means wireless devices with a MIPS based processor like
>> the linksys WRT54G or such, they lack a MMU and no BSD will run on them,
>> nor are the changes needed to lobotomize BSD enough to run on hardware
>> without an MMU trivial.
>>

> oh, sounds bad :(

I'm pretty sure this info is wrong.  I believe WRT54G uses a Broadcom
R4KC-based SoC which has an MMU and can run BSD.

The FreeBSD MIPS port works on a variety of boards but not nearly as
many as netbsd.  If you want something that might work w/ minimal effort
than look at netbsd.  If you're willing to put some effort into board
support then FreeBSD can be made to work.  There are people working on
adding more platforms; mostly embedded (e.g. not sgi).

    Sam