Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 16:02:10 -0500
From:      "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@freebsd.org>, crossd@cs.rpi.edu, net@freebsd.org, crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Subject:   Re: gif(4) question

Why is routing done via the ::1 and 127.0.0.1 network addresses?  I notice
for "normal" interfaces it is bound directly to "link#2" and such.

I realize I don't really know what I am talking about here, but, it
seems that binding it to the link is more efficient than having it go
through the loopback interface.  Also, it will work in cases where the
loopback is not defined (don't ask... just don't ask)

--
David Cross                               | email: crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Lab Director                              | Rm: 308 Lally Hall