Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 18:11:57 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        Christopher Rued <c.rued@xsb.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: crash with fd0/msdos_fs/more

Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net> types:
> * Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org> [001109 15:45] wrote:
> > Christopher Rued <c.rued@xsb.com> types:
> > > # more I\ Quit.doc
> > > panic: vm_fault fault on nofault entry addr: c58f200
> > > << system reboots >>
> > [...]
> > > What category would this go into?  `misc', `kern', `bin', `i386',
> > > other?
> > Kern. If the machine reboots when it shouldn't, the kernel's at fault.
> I don't completely agree with it, but it's hard for a kernel to
> cope with a trashed or damaged filesystem:

While true, if this is going to be fixed it's going to be in the
kernel. So kern is the right place to file it, even if it may not be
fixed.

> I sort of like how solaris will downgrade a mount to read-only when
> it detects on disk corruption, this should prevent any further
> corruption if it's a filesystem of driver bug, but it's not very
> safe and I'm pretty sure the default is still to panic.

That's is a nice behavior. Some corruptions are caught, some
aren't. Filing a pr gives the maintainer a chance to see if this one
is known, and if it's not to decide how to handle it.

> Moral of all of this is to use the "mtools" for ms-dog floppy access
> and "dd+fsck+vnconfig" for UFS floppies.

Good advice.

	<mike