Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2001 16:23:05 +0200
From:      Christophe Prévotaux <c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr>
To:        mark tinguely <tinguely@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu>
Cc:        atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Service Classes

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001 07:34:31 -0500 (CDT)
mark tinguely <tinguely@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu> wrote:

> >  Is it possible to support
> >
> >  CBR
> >  nt-VBR
> >  nrt-VBR
> >  ABR
> >  UBR
> >
> >  with a Forerunner 200E and FreeBSD 4.x ?
>
> the ForeRunner (IDT 77211 based card) driver is capable of CBR and some
> VBR support, but the driver interface to HARP code is fixed on VBR mode.
> That version of the IDT SAR family is bad at all VBR, UBR and no hardware
> ABR support. For example the SAR may send out a PDU at a specified VBR rate,
> but cannot work on another PDU in that service queue at the same time.
> There are 3 total service queues, and in some versions of the chipset,
> only two queues are usable.
>
> The newer family of IDT SAR (IDT 77252) found in the Prosum card has
> fixed all these problems and supports hardware ABR besides. There
> is not FreeBSD driver for this card at this time.
> ~

thanks for your answer, is anyone working on a driver for the prosum cards ?
prosum people have a Linux driver and are ready to help anyone who want to
port this driver to FreeBSD ( they are not going to do it themselves)
it would be nice to add this driver to FreeBSD and/or NetBSD

Mark do you know a PC motherboard that has 64bits PCI slots ?

being able to build a N x 622Mbps or N x 155Mbps FreeBSD ATM/Gigabit Ethernet
switch that could also handle MPLS would be nice :)

also I am looking for (it such thing exists?) an SDH PCI adapter

Christophe Prevotaux                  Email: c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr
HEXANET SARL                            URL: http://www.hexanet.fr/
Z.A Farman Sud                          Tel: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 05
9 rue Roland Coffignot               Direct: +33 (0)3 26 79 08 02
BP415                                   Fax: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 06
51689 Reims Cedex 2
FRANCE