Date:      Mon, 22 Oct 2001 15:07:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CS <spork@fasttrackmonkey.com>
To:        The Psychotic Viper <psyv@sec-it.net>
Cc:        Andrew Johns <johnsa@kpi.com.au>, "freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: KLD detectors

Hi,

Thanks for the info, I'll test it out on a few I've found (bsd versions of
adore).

I'm also interested in utilizing securelevels, but I'm still not 100% sure
that securelevel 1 will actually stop this, as there seem to be a number
of tools out there to bypass the securelevel restriction.  For example:

http://www.s0ftpj.org/en/tools.html

Scroll down to "securelevel bypass":
http://www.s0ftpj.org/tools/securelvl.tgz

Also, I'm finding myself upgrading bits and pieces of the system more
often (telnetd, openssh, etc.) and I'm wavering on what exactly I should
set the "schg" flags on.  Most of my machines are remote, and I also don't
want to revert to NT behaviour of "oh you patched, now you must reboot"...

Charles