Date:      Sun, 29 Nov 1998 23:48:24 -0500
From:      "Christopher S. Weimann" <cweimann@wallnet.com>
To:        Ed Suchocki <esuchocki@mediaone.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Frustrated with bsd

On Sun, Nov 29, 1998 at 09:50:25PM -0600, Ed Suchocki wrote:
> I was expecting to find some insight here on the web but there is none to be
> found.

Where did you look?

> How to download the software is as clear as mud.

Go to http://www.freebsd.org and scroll down the page till you get to
the section called "Easy to install".

Follow the link called "these directions" which will take you to
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html then read this page.

Step 3 on this page has a link to "installation boot disk image".
Click on it to download the file via ftp ( yes even in MSIE ).

Step 4 on this page has a link to fdimage.exe.  Click on it to download.
( once again even with MSIE ).

You now have everything you need to get FreeBSD installed.  Follow the rest
of the instructions on that page to create a boot disk.  This boot disk
will download everything over your modem ( or network connection if you
are that lucky ).

I don't think I told you anything here that isn't obvious from the page.

> A person must be
> completely familiar with FTP and Free BSD before attempting to download and
> install it.

You don't need anything but your web browser to get everything you need to
install FreeBSD.

> If Free bsd is to get into the main stream there must be a
> better way for people to get useful and clear information as to how to
> install and download this system. The books that I have found are of no
> great help either.

The first time I installed ANY unix like system it was FreeBSD and I
followed the handbook installation page instructions.  There is a link to
it right from the main page.

> This operating system is only good to those who already
> know it!

I don't know how to say this nicely but if you can't figure out how to
click on a link to download a file you don't even know your own operating
system.  You might not have gotten Windows to install if you had to download
it.  A good choice might be to go to www.cdrom.com and order some FreeBSD
CD-Roms.

> 	If you know of any sites or books that discuss the features of FreeBSD and
> have examples of how to use FTP to download it, I would appreciate the
> information.

www.cdrom.com has an Excellent package called The Complete FreeBSD is a
big book and set of CDRoms to install from.

> I'm currently using MS Explorer 4.0 and I do not see any way of starting an
> ftp file transfer (no reference in help).

If you wanted to access ftp.freebsd.org you would put in the address
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org.  This is the same for just about any other ftp
site as well. For example to go to Microsofts FTP site you would put
in the address ftp://ftp.microsoft.com.

Good luck!