Date:      Sat, 12 Feb 2000 20:58:19 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/ports/ too big?

On Sat, 12 Feb 2000, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2000 at 04:15:56PM -0800, Jeremy Lea wrote:
> > How well does CVS handle ar files?
>
> It doesn't.  ar files are binary, binary files cannot be put into our CVS
> archive.  Instead we would have to uuencode them.

They don't have to be!  You could just as well use `shar`. It is isomorphic and
not encoded.

> > Remember, people need to maintain these, and we do that through CVS.
> > We *really* do not want to move away from a central port's repository.
>
> Agreed.
I never saw any disagreement on  that point. A central repository is a
"must".

> At this point I think Richard is trying to solve something that
> no one else finds an issue.  What he has mentioned so far seems to be a
> special need of his.

I don't think I'm alone. Others have complained about the working size of the
ports collection in terms of both inodes and bytes.

I have also encountered the complaints that FreeBSD is getting too big for some
of the "mirror" sites.

The CTM generator is slowly grinding to a halt under the ever-increasing burden.

Perhaps, those problems are insignificant to you because "we" have managed to
scrounge enough resources to keep up the public facade. But, I assure you that
you cannot avoid it forever. Unless you address infrastructure problems, the
system will eventually "break" under its own weight.

--
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@Dataplex.NET