Date:      Fri, 08 Dec 2000 14:14:09 +0000
From:      John Murphy <john253@crosswinds.net>
To:        Michael Walsh <mikkel@bluegrass.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Two 'xl' nics (was problem with make depend)

Michael Walsh wrote:

>Thx.  So how would I go about defining the 2nd card in my Kernel file?
>Should it say "at pci" instead of "at isa"?  When I do an ifconfig -a  I
>get only a device called xl0.  This is my first 3com card and it is
>configured properly.  I could not however find where in the Kernel it =
was
>defined unless it was a line that said
>
>device		xl	#3com yadayadayada

I think that's the only entry you need for both cards, but I'm not 100%
sure.  It's best to always Cc the list, especially when it's a different
question.

>That appears to be it, but there is no "at pci" or a port or a iomem
>address defined on that line.  Also, I changed that line to read:
>
>device		xl0
>
>and added a line
>
>device		xl1
>
>...no change either.  What baffled me about this one is, shouldn't it =
have
>undefined my card and left me with no card configured after I did that?
>What does the xl mean, is that the name of a driver file that the opsys
>will know.  I thought it was just an alias and you could basically put
>anything there if you put the "at isa yadayada" stuff after it to =
identify
>the irq and port stuff. =20

Well pci cards are usually 'plug and play' which means that either the =
BIOS
or the OS deals with the assignment of irq and IO range.

>When I boot, bios says it recognizes both cards (both are the same type
>3com card).  The one that is working is on irq 10 and the one that isn't=
 is
>on IRQ 9.  I understand I have to enable the 2nd card in rc.conf too.  I
>did so, but when I boot, it tells me xl1 (the 2nd device I defined) does
>not exist.  Before when I had ed0 and ed1 defined as below, it only told=
 me
>ed1 does not exist...I think...  Any idea what I need to do to get =
FreeBSD
>to see that other card correctly.  If I can get that, I think I am ok =
with
>most of the rest of the stuff I need to do to get the thing up and =
going.
>I understand about the IP stuff and about how to use rc.conf to =
configure
>the card. =20

You may just need to change the BIOS setting for 'plug and play' to 'OS'
or whatever your particular BIOS says for _NOT_ letting the BIOS assign
parameters for plug and play.

HTH
John.