Date:      Sat, 17 Sep 2011 22:14:52 +0400
From:      Lytochkin Boris <lytboris@gmail.com>
To:        "David P. Discher" <dpd@bitgravity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [ZFS] starving reads while idle disks

Hi.

> Do you see the same read-stravation when writing the tar to a file ? (possibly outside the zpool).
Yep.
> I have anecdotal suspicion that /dev/null has some performance hit of blocking or locking.
No-no. Every program that tries to read from ZFS faces this issue actually.

 I found something more interesting. Lets presume I have 10 big dirs in .
 Issuing tar|dd command on separate dirs (so spawning 10 "threads")
 simultaneously will result in 10x faster reads cumulatively (I saw
 15Mb/s in zpool iostat), and disk load may be as high as 70%.
 So I think there is some read throttling thing that limits read speed
 per read(). But still no clue where to find this bottleneck.

--
Wbr,
Boris.