Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 2002 15:23:28 +0100
From:      "Peter Vidler" <p.vidler@ntlworld.com>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   odd dvd problem

Hi,

I recently decided to make the move from linux to freebsd. In order to do
this I bought a copy of freebsd 4.5 on dvd from the supplier listed in the
handbook. The installation was flawless except that I couldn't mount the
second dvd (containing the complete ports collection). I tried:

mount /cdrom
mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0a /cdrom
mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0c /cdrom

and several other commands all returned:

cd9660: /dev/acd0c: Invalid Argument

(or similar). This same error happens for all dvd's (including the one I
just installed from - which sysinstall can still access to add packages
and distribution sets!). Ordinary CDROMs seem to work fine in the
same drive with the same settings.

Windows also managed to read both dvd's perfectly so it can't be
a problem with the disc.

Oh yeah, dmesg | fgrep acd0 gives this:

acd0: DVD-ROM <DVS DVD-ROM DSR-520H 990120MP> at ata1-master using PIO4

Which looks okay to me? I thought maybe it could be a config
problem but I haven't changed anything (literally just installed it
and tried to mount the ports dvd).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pete