Date:      Tue, 2 Jan 1996 11:54:33 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com (Marty Leisner)
Cc:        freebsd-install@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd and swap space

Marty Leisner stands accused of saying:

> I'm working on a strategy to share swap space between
> win95/linux/freebsd and NT using an extended partition...
>
> >From what I've seen of the freebsd swap space strategy:
> 	1) we have to select a swap partition within the disk slice

Yup, but bear in mind that an unlabelled slice will get a default label with
a 'c' partition covering the entire slice.  You may be able to use that.

> 	2) we cannot make a swapfile (we have to swap on a swap partition).

Not true at all.  See 'vnconfig' (as previously mentioned).

> It seems to be working well, I want to implement the same in freebsd...
> There doesn't seem to be a mkswap or a swapoff command implemented...

You can't stop swapping on a device under FreeBSD, and there's no need
for a 'mkswap' command; if the device has a label, you can swap to it.

I'm not sure which version of FreeBSD you're running, but boot with '-v'
and see if you get a listing of which partitions are assigned to which
slices.  IIRC, 2.1 will pick up extended DOS partitions.  If this is the
case, I would expect to see the first DOS partition in the first
extended partition to be /dev/?d?s5, and you could try working
with that.  (You will probably have to make a few appropriate device nodes)

> marty		leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com

]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[