Date:      Fri, 19 Feb 1999 23:39:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: somewhat new to java questions

On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Mike Jeays wrote:

> I get the feeling that the Java Emperor has no clothes.
>
> The amount of code you need to write to do almost anything
> in terms of a GUI implementation in Java seems to be
> much larger and harder to write and understand than in
> TK/TCL.  This example of a MessageBox seems quite intimidating!
>
> Furthermore, the performance seems much worse, seen from
> my perspective of FreeBSD, Java 1.1 and Swing compared with
> TK/TCL 8.0.
>
> And inter-platform compatibility, at least between Unix and
> Windows, seems about equivalent.
>
> What am I missing? (No, its not a troll.  I am genuinely puzzled.)

The dilemna I'm looking at (which is solved with Java) is something
that will safely take credit card info and move it to another machine.
While it's true that I can get a secure web server and a certificate,
lets face it.. Someone's smokin dope if they think a new business is
gonna have the cash and overhead to implement such a thing.  My choices
were the linux e-commerce thing for $100 (which I almost did but the
folks at RedHat couldn't seem to send me a copy of the license), going
illegal and running apache-ssl without the license, getting the license
 from RSA (at US$10K) or taking the advise of an old professor that had
a question that we were to always ask ourselves before answering, "Can
I do it better?".  The only palletable answer was, "Yes, I can do it
better".  So I wrote a java applet that uses noone's copyrighted,
patented, pay-me-to-use-it encryption schemes and appears to be secure
enuf to use.  Right now the only requirement is that Netscape 4.5 be
used. One day I hope to be able to release it so everyone can benefit.

Thanks to all who've had suggestions, whether I was able to use 'em
or not.  Now the challenge to the Java Community is to write something
save, secure, reusable, distributable, and small that it will help to
promote the little guy put his business on the web.

I also wrote a shopping cart program.  As soon as the bugs are found
and squished, that will be released with the same hopes in mind.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null
       # include <std/disclaimers.h>                   TEAM-OS2