Date:      Fri, 31 Dec 1999 12:43:13 +1100
From:      "Shaun Amy, CSIRO TIP/ATNF" <amy@explorer.tip.CSIRO.AU>
To:        Kenny Drobnack <kdrobnac@mission.mvnc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CD-RW long filenames/rw filesystem.

>A couple weeks ago I got a CD-RW drive, and decided to try it out under
>all the different OS's I use. In FreeBSD, the only way (it seems) to use
>it, is grab a bunch of stuff you want to backup/record and use mkisofs and
>cdrecord to dump it onto a CD.  Everything I read seemed to indicate that
>this method limits you to the 8.3 filename format of iso9660 and all
>Rockridge does is add file/group permissions and ownership.  is there any
>CD recording utilities/formats that can do long filenames (hopefully with
>Unix permissions)?

This is not correct.  The initial ISO9660 standard did specify the 8.3 format
but there are now extensions that do what you describe.  Recent versions of
"mkisofs" support RockRidge (long filename under UNIX support) and Joliet
(MS long filename support) so you are not restricted to the 8.3 format.  I
wrote a couple of CDs the other day under FreeBSD (3.4-STABLE) using
"mkisofs" with RockRidge support and the long filenames work fine.  As this
was data from a UNIX system I wasn't concerned with Windows support.

>	Next question. Under Windows, there was a program called Adaptec
>Direct CD that pretty much allowed you to treat a CD-RW disc as "a really
>big floppy disk" (I think that was from the docs). You can save a file to
>the CD-RW and then delete it later if you want to.  Would it be possible,
>or even feasible, to implement something like this in FreeBSD?

The is called "packet writing" and the drive has to support it as well as
software.  I haven't seen any Unix tools to date (although I haven't done a
comprehensive search) that supports this.

Shaun.