Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2000 13:36:09 -0800
From:      Jim Mock <jim@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Supported hardware list(s)

Howdy folks,

Once again, I've been tasked with getting the handbook up-to-date and
ready to print a 2nd edition.  It needs quite a bit of work, most of
which I'll address in another message later.  For now, I'd like to get
the hardware list down to *one* place.  Right now we have different
lists in 3 places -- the install chapter, the appendix, as well as
HARDWARE.TXT.  The last is probably the most likely candidate to be kept
up-to-date, so, I think we should take advantage of it.

Here's what I propose:

   1) Nuke the hardware compatibility appendix.  It's quite out of date,
      and since no one has taken an interest in "claiming" it as their
      own, we should get rid of it.

   2) In the install chapter, do as we do elsewhere -- link to
      HARDWARE.TXT on ftp.FreeBSD.org, or to the one on the reader's
      system at /usr/src/release/texts/HARDWARE.TXT.  Granted, the 2nd
      will only work if the reader has source installed, but we could
      provide a link to both to make that a non-issue.

I'm interested in hearing what others think -- I know there are a lot of
folks who'd like to see one hardware list, and I'm one of them :-)
Comments?

- jim

--
jim mock <jim@jmock.com>        work: jim@osd.bsdi.com | jim@FreeBSD.org