Date:      28 Mar 2002 16:51:21 -0500
From:      Brandon S Allbery KF8NH <allbery@ece.cmu.edu>
To:        Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
Cc:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Talking to a Palm over USB (was Re: Talking to a Palm over IR?)

On Thu, 2002-03-28 at 15:34, Lars Eggert wrote:
> >>Or is IRDA support required, even though it looks like a serial port?
> >>(Sorry, I'm clueless when it comes to IR.) In that case, I think NetBSD
> >>just got some basic support for it.
> >
> > IIRC, Palm OS 2.x and earlier had a proprietary protocol for the IR
> > transfers, but that they now use IrDA.
>
> So I gave up on IrDA, and instead am now trying to sync via the USB

The m5xx should work fine with the comms/birda port.

> Things go south from there. Using pilot-xfer (from pilot-link version

pilot-link doesn't understand FreeBSD's USB stack (ugen might be more
"correct" than presenting a serial port, but it's well-nigh useless and
nonportable).  The palm/coldsync port is the only thing I'm aware of
that works with ugen.

>      pconn_usb_open: Warning: Unexpected USB vendor ID 0x830.

The warning can be ignored, if the rest works (coldsync currently only
recognizes Handspring's vendor code).  If the sync doesn't work after
that, though, then Palm decided to be gratuitously different.  :/

--
brandon s. allbery   [os/2][linux][solaris][japh]  allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator      [WAY too many hats]        allbery@ece.cmu.edu