Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 09:38:09 +1000
From:      Joe Shevland <joe.shevland@horizonti.com>
To:        dpatil@cisco.com
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jre, jfc on BSD

Devadas Patil wrote:

> Dear Sir/Madam:
>
> 1. I would like to know if the JFC -Swing release offered by Sun on
> Solaris can directly be used on free BSD? The swing release comprises of
> java binaries in jar files. I presume these can be ported directly.  I
> also noted that there is no difference in these jar files for the
> Solaris platform and WIndows 95/NT platforms.

Yes, the foundation classes and Swing are both available on FreeBSD.

> 2. Is there a JRE for freeBSD? If so, what is the URL?

Yes. Check out http://www.freebsd.org/java. I believe the FreeBSD java
team
are in the process of starting to port the JDK 1.1.6. There may be
further
sources of information regarding Java on the FBSD pages.

> 3. If the answer to (1) is NO, are there plans to release a JFC-Swing
> package for the BSD platform?

Hope this helps.

--
Joe Shevland       Horizon Technologies International
Team Leader        L7, 65 Murray Street, Hobart TAS 7000