Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2001 22:47:38 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Nathan Mace" <mace_nathan@uchaswv.edu>, "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: in need of a little advice

I'm sure people here will shoot me for saying this but you don't mention
any Windows experience.  Most sites that have UNIX of any flavor also
have Windows systems around.  Your not going to be that useful to many
people if you don't know how to administer them.

I have found that it's extremely easy for someone who is experienced with
UNIX systems to learn to admin Windows systems, oftentimes even better than
the "designated" Windows administrators.  Of course it doesen't mean that
learning Windows means you want to manage them for a career.  But one thing
that is a truism in the industry is that by and large less-competent
administrators
tend to blame problems on things they don't understand.  This goes for both
Windows admins or UNIX admins.  It's not uncommon for the more competent
admins
to be put into a situations where they have to solve other people's problems
for them.

I've seen lots of times where the more competent UNIX admins had to get their
hands dirty fixing up screwups on the Windows network, because the Windows
admins had gotten in over their head and created a mess, and couldn't dig
their
way out so they just blamed the network problems on the UNIX systems.  I've
also
seen a few times were the more competent Windows admins had to fix screwups on
the UNIX networks because the UNIX admins had gotten in over their head and
created a mess and couldn't dig their way out, so they just blamed the Windows
network.  However, I see _that_ happening much less. :-)

Anyway, the point of all this is that no matter how much your determined not
to work on Windows systems, your going to be forced at some point to get your
fingers dirty with them.  You may be the most competent UNIX guru there is but
if you don't know anything about Windows your going to be viewed as an
incompetent boob by most ignorant businesspeople who will be signing your
checks.  For your own self-defence you need to throughly understand them,
which isn't going to take very long as Windows is neither complex nor
flexible.